What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous information society services. Among others, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their equipment and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
• Own cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
• Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the period of time they remain stored in the client’s browser, which may be:
• Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
• Persistent cookies: the data continues to be stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies depending on the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
• Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page,
platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access parts, remembering the elements that make up an order, placing the process of purchasing an order, making a request for registration or participation in an event, using security elements while browsing, storing content for the dissemination of videos or sound or sharing content through social networks.
• Personalization cookies: they allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria on the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, configuration regional from where you access the service, etc…
• Analysis cookies: they allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyse the behaviour of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to prepare navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in based on the analysis of usage data made by users of the service.
• Advertising cookies: they allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of advertising spaces.
• Behavioural advertising cookies: they store information on user behavior obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
Deactivation and deletion of cookies
You have the option to allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer. By disabling cookies, some of the available services may no longer be operational. You can also consult the browser’s Help menu where you can find instructions. The user may at any time choose which cookies they want to work on this website.
You can allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer:
Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge:
Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preference
In addition, you can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as the following:
Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/es/